Oreo Cheesecake


I've been so busy the last few weeks that I haven't had a chance to upload this recipe from Easter. I had a few weeks off work recently and I ate my weight in sugary treats like this one. I don't regret a thing- except for the fact that my jeans button is about to pop and take out an unsuspecting passerby.

I didn't do too much of my own cooking while I was off work, mainly opting to eat out (Patissez for a Freakshake, Mama's Buoi for yummy Vietnamese fare.. Not to mention eating at local spots- including Crafted LIVE a BBQ and Beer festival).. But I did decide to crack out a diabetes extravaganza for Easter.

It's a simple Oreo cheesecake, but I overloaded it with Easter eggs, more Oreos of the peanut butter kind and persian fairy floss. You don't need to go crazy and add all the stuff I did, the cheesecake on its own is delicious and rich but in my 'expert' (fatty) opinion I think it needs some sugary glamorisation.

You will need...
1 packet of regular Oreos
40gr unsalted butter, melted

500gr Philadelphia cream cheese
1 packet Chocolate Oreos
300ml thickened cream (heavy whipping cream)
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 tsp gelatine dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water
200gr white chocolate, melted

Method...
  1. Prepare a 22 inch spring-form baking tin by greasing and lining both the base and the sides.
  2. Place 1 packet of Oreos in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add melted butter and blend until mixture starts to come together.
  3. Scoop out into the prepared cake tin and use your hands to press to form an even base. Place in the fridge.
  4. Prepare the filling by placing the thickened cream into the bowl of your stand mixer (or into a normal bowl with a hand mixer) and whip until medium peaks have formed. Set aside
  5. In a clean bowl, add the cream cheese and sugar and whip on low until well combined. Beat in gelatine and melted chocolate
  6. Place chocolate oreos into a large ziplock bag and use a rolling pin or mallet to gently break up the biscuits roughly.
  7. Fold the crushed biscuits into the cream cheese, then finally fold in the whipped cream.

8. Pour filling over base and smooth the top with the spatula or the back of a spoon. Cover and  refrigerate overnight to set.


9. To serve, top with desired decorations- chocolates, more biscuits, melted chocolate and nuts etc.

This creation was thrown together on a camping table while we were down the coast so you can see it's still on it's base for transport reasons!
NB. If you don't have a food processor, use the zip lock bag and rolling pin to crush the biscuits for the base to fine crumbs. You can omit the extra biscuits from the filling if you prefer, you can add small choc chips or caramel swirl for something different.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

George Calombaris' Pasticcio (AKA Greek Lasagna)

Anna-Maria's Zucchini Slice

Beef, Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni